Laboratory for Fish and Aquatic Ecosystems
The Laboratory for Fish and Aquatic Ecosystems conducts research in fisheries and in the maintenance and restoration of aquatic ecosystems.
The Laboratory’s most common activities are ecosystem assessments, monitoring of economic activities, restoration of degraded water ecosystems, biomanipulation of ichthyofauna etc. The research is focused on estimates of minimum ecological flow, restoration of fish communities, different fishery topics and features of a water ecosystem, as well as biomanipulation of drinking water supply.
The results of the above-mentioned research and monitoring are used in the preparation of documents such as Environmental Impact Assessment, Appropriate Assessment, Nature Impact Assessment, etc.
In their research and monitoring activities, our experts use different fishery and limnological methods, while the latest technologies and remote sensors enable them to provide an effective mapping of changes in biomass, pollution and bioproduction.
The Head of the Laboratory for Fish and Aquatic Ecosystems is Professor Milorad Mrakovčić and his deputy is Matija Kresonja, mag. prot. nat. et amb.
- Study of interstitial fauna in the Sava River in Slovenia
- Development of monitoring programs for species and habitat types of EU interest as part of the OPCC project “Development of Monitoring Systems for Species and Habitat Types” for Group 8: “Development of a Monitoring Program for Freshwater Fish with Capacity Building of Stakeholders in the Monitoring and Reporting System”.
- Research of ichthyofauna in the area of small HPP Ilovac near Ozalj
- Implementation of focused ichthyological monitoring in the area of HPP Mokrica in Slovenia
- Service for monitoring the effectiveness of measures to preserve freshwater ecosystems
- Research of ichthyofauna on the left bank of the Sava River in Kratečki
- Research of fish and crustacean fauna on the Ratković stream near Ogulin
- Research on voles in the area of the Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Research of fish and crustacean fauna in the area of the Mirna River in the County of Istria
- Research of ichthyofauna on the Mura river near the settlement of Donja Dubrava
- Monitoring of ichthyofauna at the Halaševo location in Osijek-Baranja County