Project name: Targeted ichthyological monitoring
Client: Hidroelektrarne na Spodnji Savi d.o.o. /Ltd. (HESS)
Period: 10/2019 – 09/2021
The project “Implementation of targeted ichthyological monitoring” took place from October 2019 to September 2021 to collect and process data obtained by genetic analysis and interpretation of the results and characteristics of the cactus roach for its protection, with a proposal of dam mitigation measures and a proposal for a cactus roach monitoring program.
The following activities were performed:
- literature analysis
- sampling the required number of the cactus roach specimens
- processing of sampled material
- preparation of samples for analysis
- genetic analysis of the cactus roach (DNA extraction, mitochondrial DNA amplification, mtDNA analysis, ddRAD sequencing)
- processing of the results (population structure analysis, phylogenetic analysis)
- communication and consultations with the Client
- proposal of the cactus roach protection measures
- preparation of the final report.
The cactus roach survey was conducted in the Sava River zone, upstream from the firth of the Krka River in Slovenia to Slavonski Šamac in Croatia. The sampling was conducted from October 2019 to May 2020 on the rivers Krka, Kupa, Dobra, Sava, Sutla and Drava by the method of electrofishing and block nets. In addition to fish sampling at the site, the physicochemical parameters of the water were also measured, as well as habitat and environment data around the sampling site which were visually assessed and recorded. A total of 110 cactus roach specimens were sampled whose fin samples were sent for genetic analysis.