Project name: Baseline Study of Birds and Bats at the Wind Farm Podveležje Project Area
Client: JP Elektroprivreda BiH JSC – Sarajevo
Period: 1/2014 – 02/2015
Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina
The aim of the project was to provide the assessment of the effects of the planned Podveležje Wind Farm (Bosnia and Herzegovina) on birds and bats fauna and to provide information necessary for monitoring of potential impacts arising from habitat loss, displacement, and collision risk of wind farm Podveležje on birds and bats.
The one-year baseline survey conducted on the Wind Farm site and reference site provided information on:
- the species and estimated number of birds and bats that may be displaced, and the extent and importance of potential displacement to their populations in wider Project area (whether through disturbance or habitat loss);
- levels of flight activity for birds and bats, and types of flight behaviour, which can be used in assessing and monitoring collision risks.
Main project activities that were conducted are fieldwork investigation of birds and bats, radar survey of migrating birds with detailed analysis of migrating route over the windfarm area, specific review of protected and endangered species, the assessment of the effects of the Podveležje Wind Farm on birds and bats, recommendations for the operation of the wind farms, recommendations for the Client’s Environmental and Social Management Plan and a recommendation for the future similar Client’s fauna inventory surveys.
During the Project, all collected data were organised in the (fauna) GIS database.
An assessment of the collision risk for birds was analysed through ecological modelling of the collected survey and radar data.
Radar survey was conducted with the X-band marine radar in order to confirm bird migration corridor over the planned Podveležje Wind Farm area during spring and autumn migration season.
- Monitoring of bat fauna
- Monitoring of bird fauna
- Radar survey of migrating birds
- Aggregation of data in database and GIS evaluation
- Development of SUD maps
- Evaluation and valorisation of the project area and detection of the possible collision between wind farm and birds and bats
- The assessment of the effects of the Podveležje Wind Farm (WF) on birds and bats
- Recommendations for the Employer’s Environmental and Social Management plan pertaining to the operation of the wind farms
- A recommendation for future similar fauna inventory surveys.