Project name: Consulting services for Phase III of the GEF – DFS Project Data Flow System and Indicators to Enhance Integrated Management of Global Environmental Issues in Croatia
Client: Croatian Environment Protection Agency (AZO)
Period: 04/2013 – 02/2015
The aim of the project was to develop a comprehensive data flow system and indicators for sustainable collection and management of information needed to implement the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification i.e. soil degradation (UNCCD) and the United Nations Convention on biological diversity (UNCBD) and to test the system developed through a pilot project in a small-scale coastal fire area of Croatia.
The project was implemented through the following components:
- Development of Data Flow System to establish a regular flow of data for indicators of climate, soil and biodiversity in line with the National list of indicators as part of the instructions that have been made to collect data at the source and the Protocol for the forwarding of data for which there is no statutory obligation and models were developed for data flow system and the critical points in the system. Within this component and a number of new indicators were proposed
- Collection of data for selected indicators, developing and filling the database and preparation of GIS Web browser
- Establishment of a conceptual, logical and physical (MS SQL, gdb) data model, collection of data and baseline documentation at the national level and the pilot area, data processing (standardization) and harmonization, the establishment of a central database and data entry, development of web GIS browsers as components of the existing Web GIS portal
The application was created as a web application based on Java technology (Java 1.7). The data layer is located in the database based on Microsoft SQL Server technology (v2008 RS1). The application uses a Single Sign On (AAA) software architecture which provides information on authorized users of all applications owned by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Data Flow System design
- Data collection
- IT/GIS design and programming
- Participation in organization of meetings
- Training of relevant institutions / organizations in the data flow system
- Publication of project materials