Project name: EU IPA 2007 project: Identification and setting-up of the marine part of Natura 2000 network in Croatia – Marine NATURA 2000
Client: Central Finance and Contracting Agency, Croatia
Period: 11/2010 – 11/2012
The overall objective of the project was to support the Croatian institutions in transposition of EU Habitats Directive and Birds Directive. The Project contributed to finalization of the marine part of the NATURA 2000 network as an obligation of Croatia as a country acceding to the EU, including preparation of a detailed program of work for finalizing the marine NATURA 2000 network.
Main project tasks were:
- Preparation of a detailed program of work for finalizing the marine NATURA 2000 proposal in Croatia on the basis of the consultation process with relevant stakeholders on marine biodiversity and available biodiversity data. Through this task the following was organized (a) identification of all relevant stakeholders, (b) preparation of the consultation program for workshops and round tables with main relevant stakeholders., (c) production of training material, (d) identification and collection of data on marine biodiversity received from stakeholders, (e) recommendation for 2 pilot sites as potential NATURA 2000 sites, (f) overview of international experiences and methodologies in setting up the marine NATURA 2000 network, (g) detailed program of work for finalizing marine NATURA 2000 proposal in Croatia based on GIS based GAP Analysis.
- Preparation of Research and Monitoring Program on 2 pilot sites including institutional strengthening of SINP for the assessment of conservation status of sites according to research and monitoring data. Through tasks (a) the Research and Monitoring Program as groundwork for monitoring and reporting obligation according to Articles 11 and 17 of Habitats Directive (HD) for the identified 2 pilot sites and the trainings for the beneficiary staff and (b) the Guidelines on assessment of the status of target features and sites of ecological network (according to Article 17 of HD) were prepared.
- Building capacity for inventory of marine biodiversity and identification of marine part of NATURA 2000 through involvement and education of amateurs from dive centers. Two 6-day courses were conducted on inventorying on marine biodiversity for the divers (with appropriate training material) for 6-day courses). In addition, the proposed methodologies were standardized and recommendations for the networking activities between the dive centers/divers trained in marine BD program and SINP were prepared.
- Provision of experts
- Conduction of workshops and training
- Data analysis (GAP analysis)
- Preparation of monitoring framework
- Project management