Project name: Study for Area Definition under influence of natural or other specific constraints in agriculture including calculations
Client: Ministry of Agriculture
Period: 10/2012– 03/2015
Funding: State Budget
In accordance with Regulation (EU) no. 1305/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 December, 2013, on support for rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD), the new Rural Development Programme consists of several individual measures, with the one relating to the payment of areas affected by natural and specific constraints in agriculture.
The main objective of this project was to determine and define areas with natural and specific constraints in agriculture. In determining the areas affected by natural and specific constraints in agriculture, the following categories are separately allocated and determined:
- mountain and mountainous areas (i.e. areas with relief restrictions which include altitude, slope and vertical roughness of the terrain)
- areas with bio-physical restrictions (including restrictions of low temperature, dryness – conditions which are too dry; excessive wetting of the soil; limited drainage; unfavorable soil texture and stoniness; shallow ecological depth of soils; poor chemical properties – acidity, salinity and alkalinity of soils; and steep slope).
- areas with location restrictions (restrictions were presented such as strong wind, frequent floods, the situation in space – the islands and the Pelješac peninsula, karst geomorphology, vegetation fires, soil erosion and hail). According to Regulation (EU) no. 1305/2013, these areas can be a maximum of 10% of the total area of the country.
Definition of areas with natural constraints was conducted in accordance with the instructions: Updated common bio-physical criteria to define natural constraints for agriculture in Europe (Orshoven et al., 2013).
- Defining the areas with natural and specific constraints in agriculture
- Determining the areas with natural and specific constraints in agriculture
- Spatial analysis
- GIS establishing and processing