Project name: Technical Assistance for management and protection of potential NATURA 2000 sites in the northern part of Cyprus (Ref. No.: EuropeAid/125695/C/SER/CY)
Client: European Union
Period: 05/2008 – 04/2012
The overall objective of the project was to achieve effective systems of nature protection in the northern part of Cyprus, in compliance with the requirements of the acquis communautaire. In particular, the project will support implementation of the necessary conservation measures for special areas, in line with the provisions of Directive 92/43/EEC on the Conservation of Natural Habitats and of Wild Fauna and Flora (Habitats Directive), and for special protected areas as defined under Directive 79/409/EEC on wild birds (Wild Birds Directive).
The specific purpose the service contract was to prepare the Turkish Cypriot community for the effective implementation of the acquis in the field of nature protection.
The following specific activities were implemented:
- Survey of habitats for species and birds of 7 potential NATURA 2000 sites in accordance with EU Habitats and Birds Directives, including preparation of GIS maps;
- Preparation of detailed plans for management and protection of 6 potential NATURA 2000 sites in accordance with the requirements of the Habitats and the Wild Birds Directives;
- Public awareness raising campaign, as well as consultation with stakeholders concerned;
- Identification of practical measures, infrastructure requirements and equipment necessary for conservation and protection of habitats and species;
- Preparation of designs and tender documents (including technical specifications, drawings, bills of quantities), in accordance with FIDIC Conditions of Contract, for the construction of identified infrastructure measures;
- Support to the Contracting Authority during the process of tendering, evaluation and award of the contract(s) for setting in place the infrastructure and equipment necessary for the protection and management of the sites;
- Supervision of the construction works in accordance with FIDIC Conditions of Contract;
- Review and analysis of existing administrative structure and provision of assistance for building the professional capacity of the sectoral experts and field staff in the Turkish Cypriot community responsible for nature protection, including capacity building for implementation of the measures for the sustainable management of the protected sites.
- Project Management Support
- Habitat surveys
- Development of Natura 2000 management and protection plans
- Document drafting
- Technical support
- Data analysis
- Capacity building