Project name: Expert background study for characterization and delineation of hilly and mountainous areas
Client: Ministry of Regional Development and EU Funds
Period: 08/2018 – 09/2018
Funding: State budget
In accordance with the Contract and Project assignment, the works include the preparation of expert backgrounds for determining the coverage of mountainous areas in Croatia within which the following activities have been carried out:
- review and valorization of EU legislation and documents related to regional development and definition of mountainous areas;
- reviewing and valorizing examples of good practice in defining hilly and mountainous areas in the EU and in Europe;
- definition of criteria and methodology for the delineation of mountainous areas suitable for the situation of the Republic of Croatia;
- collecting data necessary for the delineation of mountainous areas and the establishment of GIS;
- analysis and processing of spatial data, digital elevation model;
- geomorphological analysis;
- climatic analysis and modeling;
- demographic analysis;
- analysis of infrastructure;
- creating a map of hilly and mountainous areas at the level of local administrative units with the estimated values of defined criteria for each local administrative unit.
The following criteria were taken into account when defining the criteria for determining hilly and mountainous areas: geomorphology of the terrain, climatic characteristics (average annual air temperature, mean annual precipitation, number of days with snow cover, cover and land use, demographic causes and trends in mountain- mountainous area, economic development areas, accessibility, infrastructure and quality of life of the area).