Project name: Monitoring the impact of landfills on the population of jackals (Canis aureus) in the Lonjsko Polje Nature Park
Client: Public Institution Lonjsko polje Nature Park
Period: 09/2011 – 01/2016
Contract value: 21.270 EUR
Funding: State Budget
The project included field research of the jackals within the area of Lonjsko Polje and establishment of regular monitoring of the jackal population. During the project, the size of the population was estimated, landfills were analysed as food source and their impact on jackals and other ecosystem elements was assessed based on acquired data.
The following methods were applied: acoustic – GIANNATOS i sur, 2005; KROFEL 2007, coordinates collection via GPS and entry/processing to GIS.
Field investigations were carried out twice in a two-week period.
Jackals movement and activity was monitored via telemetry method (collared).
- Estimate of the jackal population
- Regular monitoring of the jackals
- Analysis of landfills as food source of the jackals
- Assessment of impact of landfills on jackals and ecosystem
- Data processing and interpretation of data